Friday, 28 February 2014

Cold Dread

My fatigued eyes slowly focused on the line of words that I’ve read over several times during these last few minutes. Trying to absorb as much knowledge as possible, I read it over one last time. All the other students and I were dreading to hear the forbidding words, “You may now enter.” We quickly unfolded our sore bodies after hunching over our books like mother bears protecting their cubs. Collecting my belongings, I felt nauseous as acid created a burning path up my esophagus. I swallowed it down in a gulp along with any confidence I had. My bloodshot eyes burned with tears as I realized the horrible mistake I had made. I should have been studying last night instead of procrastinating. The icy fingers of AC wrapped around my exhausted body while I walked into the gym. The intimidating rows of desks with multiple teachers milling around filled me to the brim with fear. My pounding heart started stomping out of my chest as I approached the desk that would hold me captive for the next several hours. I saw the thick white booklet patiently waiting on the corner. It was my final assessment. Simran Toor was officially stamped on it to verify that this was the piece of paper that would affect my life forever. A cold sweat broke out over my entire body and my clammy hands were barley able to hold my shaking pencil. Through this pencil I had to display the intelligence that I had learned in these past 4 months. Suddenly, I could not remember anything. My mind was blank. The freezing metal met my stiff back as I hesitantly took a seat. Closing my tired eyes, I slowly collected a deep, refreshing breath. A last observation flitted across my thoughts before I started the exam: I am really cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment